Sexing Buttons

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BHep, Oct 8, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I am looking on info to sex Button Quail.
    I hatched Button Quail 7/11. To my surprise... they laid 2 eggs today. I had not even realized they are old enough. They are tiny little things. [​IMG] I still considered them babies. I have not separated them yet or anything [​IMG] I have 3-4 bird cages up in the attic, I will bring down and at least separate them by color until I figure out the sexes.
    Any advise is appreciated.

Obviously..... I am new to Buttons. [​IMG] I have had Cotunix Quail, but sold them all last Sunday, before winter sets in. And yes.... the buttons are in the house. [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The best way to sex button quail is by the red feathers. If a button quail has red vent feathers or breast, or red anywhere, it's a male. Whites are difficult since they don't have red on them at all. The bib is an indicator on some males, but some females have bibs as well.

Females are more plump and lower to the ground than males. Males have the wind crowing sound...hmmm what else should I add [​IMG]

ENJOY the boogers, they sure are a blast!

3. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Thank you ....now off to stare at them. [​IMG] 2 eggs again today.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can check out quaillady's site. Several button quail varieties can be sexed based on the visual differences between the males' and females' colors. Checking for the red vent feathers is probably the most accurate method (aside from putting each in its own cage until it lays or 'crows'), but once you get to know the different varieties you should be able to tell by the bird's color.

5. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] I just looked at quailladies website... I have 5 males without even looking for red at the vent. I have the blue breasted males... I need to get some pics up. I also have 2 pied colored ones, or tuxedo ??? I saw 1 mating a wild colored one. My luck I have 2 females and 12 males. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well if you are getting two eggs, that sounds about right [​IMG]

Oh my, 12 males!! LOL!!!! But the blue breasteds are my favorites! Post photos on the pieds [​IMG]

7. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Can the males live together in a bachelor pad ???? [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Sure you can. Just make sure no one is picked at.

9. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Thank You!! I really appreciate the advise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by