1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing by Feather Growth - **New Pics!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So I originally posted this in the chicks section but thought this would probably be a better place.

Okay, so i was wondering if anyone else has done this before or does do this? I have noticed in the past that some of the female chicks feather in faster than the males so I figured I would give it a go with my WyandotteX chicks.

I waited until they were all 1wk old and picked out some that I liked(coloring). I then cut back to ONLY the ones with the longest tail feathers... and ended up keeping a brand new baby because it was cute [​IMG] . It's been about 3 days since the cut back and so far the "keepers" seem to all have similar temperments. I know that means almost Nothing but i figured it was worth saying. The youngest chick even seems mellow like the rest.

Here's some pics from today of the chicks & if anyone is interested, I can follow up with pics as they grow and we'll see if this is an accurate or somewhat accurate way of sexing?

These chickies were all hatched on the 12th of June [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Just some updated pictures of the 7 girls( [​IMG] ). They're 2 weeks old now [​IMG]

Light Buff/Cream-colored chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Blue EE mixed chick (has me worried already but all these chicks were huge!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BR mixed chicks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light gold chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Gold chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    It will be interesting to see....adorable chicks,BTW [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I dont think feather sexing by growth is all that accurate. My Cochin did not even start to feather until she was 5 weeks old. My neighbor has a Wyandotte Pullet that is doing the same feather rate as my Cochin. Both are females.

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Cuteness overload [​IMG]

Please do keep up with this thread and let us know how it turns out! Many folks have reported that within the same breed, the girls tend to feather out faster than the boys, especially in the tail and wing bow.

There was a thread a while back on Cochin feathering rates and they felt that although Cochins are slow feathering, the boys had no tail at less than 1 week and the girls started getting a tiny fluff at several days old.

I have one that I hatched from a Brahma roo and Sexlink hen. S/he feathered out very quickly-identical to the Welsummer friend the same age. So far everything feathering looks girly (8 weeks) but the comb started getting larger and orangy at 3 weeks which says roo. No boy behaviors yet, luckily. The sexlink has a gigantic comb so I am hoping that s/he is just an early bloomer.

Good luck with the experiment!

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I got some pics of the babies today. They are about 5 weeks old now & I have 2 VERY obvious Roos in the bunch. I lost the red-colored chicks(a girl & boy btw) to Cocci, the rest of them are going through the treatment for it now but they all seem very healthy thankfully! My older birds are also getting the meds too. So here's the babies. I just LOVE the biggest Blue chick, it's going to be one handsome bird!!

Pretty sure this is a roo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Favorite! I really hope this sweetie pie is a girl!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo? Don't really like this one, he's pretty jumpy about being held.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Such a cute little thing, kind of barred. Hopefully a girl!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Hate to say it, but they all look like boys to me--only 5 weeks, and that much red?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by