Sexing by leg color ?

TRALALARA1

Songster
Mar 3, 2022
Oklahoma
Hello,
I’m new to breeding chickens but I’ve been reading up on different ways to know what sex your chicks might be by different characteristics of the hen x roo. I have 2 roosters and I’ve seen them both mate the hens. 1 is an Americauna and the other is a Barred rock. I know that the Americauna can be a combination of breeds. ( all my chickens came from Atwood’s) and I feel like the barred rock probably has 2 barred genes because he’s pretty white. So my combinations could be:
Americauna roo x Americauna hen= ? ( all have slate legs and hens lay blue eggs)

Americauna roo x Rhode Island Red hen= ? (Leg color difference for chicks?)

Barred rock roo x Americauna hen= ? (Leg color difference for chicks?)

Barred rock roo x RIR= ( all have yellow legs but barring on chicks?)

I can easily see which mama layed which egg by their color but it will be interesting to see who’s the daddy!

Any information is appreciated.
thanks!

Pictures would help.

I have never heard of sexing by leg color. It's possible to identify birds by noticing phyisical characteristics in addition to leg color, but sexing, from what I know, is not possible using leg color.

Pictures would help.

I have never heard of sexing by leg color. It's possible to identify birds by noticing phyisical characteristics in addition to leg color, but sexing, from what I know, is not possible using leg color.
I don’t have any chicks yet. I have another ten days or so on the eggs I’m hatching. I’m a newbie and TRYING not to count my eggs until they hatch but I was just curious if there’d be any way to tell the sexes while they’re tiny. I can figure it out later Of course.

I have zero breeding experience, however, I do have a hen that is a cross that was sexed by leg color upon hatch. It’s called willow leg, but it’s only an accurate indicator for a first generation cross, just like any sex-linked crosses. (Sex-linked crosses should not be confused with autosexing breeds, like a Cream Legbar)

I don't think it will work with the slate legs in the mix. Barred Plymouth Rock can be sexed by the dark wash on the pullet legs. But that doesn't work once you mix with a breed that has slate legs.

What is going to be more accurate is simply size of legs and stance of chick. On your next hatch mark/make note of all the birds with large legs then of those which stand upright. Excepting outliers all the cockerels will be in the large leg group. Once in a while you have a slow maturing, small leg, smaller cockerel that is not worth anything other than messing up your sexing guesses. Of all the thick leg chicks there is a chance of an outlier pullet that is a strong, big girl and excellent addition to your flock. The stance of birds aids in eliminating them from guessing cockerel.

Pictures would help.

Dominiques can be sexed by leg color and/or head spots. Males have yellow legs females have brownish/black in their legs.

Back
Top Bottom