1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MNmommy, May 2, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I was wondering what to look for when trying to figure out my 2 call ducks. They are just turning 2 weeks right now. They kind of sound a little different from each other but I think there was a day or two difference in hatching. The smaller black one has a higher pitch peep while the bigger one's voice seems a little lower and raspy???

Just wondering what to watch for and usually at what age is it obvious?

Thanks

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I met some duck breeders today, yes now I'm looking up how to make a duck habitat [​IMG] [​IMG] and they said that the girls are "mouthy" and the boys are much much more quiet. Hope an expert comes along to help you soon!

3. LaneKim

LaneKim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    id say the smaller black one is a girl...definetley if it makes a lot of noise when you pick it up...leaving the other one as a boy if it DOESNT make a lot of noise when you pick it up and mess with it dont have them myself but am getting them and thats what ive been told...hope that helps

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We wait until they are about 2 months old to sex them by the "quack"......the quack can change on you as they get a little older. You could try to vent sexthem if you really want to know.

5. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I can wait to see what they are. It doesn't matter what they end up as. If 2 females I might add a male, if one of each that would be great, if they are both males will they get along fine without any females in the mix?

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    2 males would do fine together if there are no females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by