Sexing Call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vlapinta, May 21, 2010.

1. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    I know this subject has been discussed before many times but I have a question. My calls are 7 weeks old. I have no experience with vent sexing. We tried and the three we have all looked like ducks. The one sounds definately like a duck. She quacks like a honking sound. The other two sound differant than the honkng sound. They sound like they are still kind of peeping, or once and a while they make a raspy peeping sound, definately not a quack. It it still too early to tell by their sounds? Can the two that are not quacking at this point possibly be drakes? Should I give it more time till they are a little older? What age do they definately "quack" by?

Vicki

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They will definetly be quacking by now...sounds like you have a girl and two boys!

3. vlapinta

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Thats not good is it? I can't part with any of them. Any suggestions of what to do. Can I just hope for the best that they all get along?

Vicki

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    They'll probably get along but possibly too well...two drakes will be too much for one hen. You may need to get a couple more hens to keep them all.

Try taking two away from each one in turn...you should definitely hear their voices then! You'll likely hear a REALLY loud quack from a female when you do that!

5. vlapinta

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    When I take one away one of them the hen really quacks like a honking sound. The other two sound differant. At what age will the hen start laying eggs? I was thinking 14-17 weeks. That will be @ August. Can I wait and try and get some eggs to incubate and see if I can get females, or will I have trouble before that point? I can't seperate them because I just buit a big pen that all three are in together. I have nowhere else to seperate them. I really wanted to breed my own unless I can get very tame babies. I handle mine all the time so they are sweet. I wouldn't want to just get any females. I live in NJ. Any suggestions?

Vicki

6. vlapinta

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Still trying to figure out if I need to get another female asap or can I wait and see what happens? At what age do they start to mate?
    Vicki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by