1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing chickens ? Male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by groovimum, Jan 14, 2008.

1. groovimum

groovimum Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi I have a question I hope someone can help. I recently bought some new young hens hopefully they will start laying soon. My dilema is that one of them lookes like a rooster it has a bigger comb larger dangling bits under chin(sorry i dont know thier correct name!!!lol) but it hasn't crowed yet so how do I tell if its a hen or a roo???:::l:

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hello there!
    well, first of all we're gonna need some more info and hopefully a picture or two.
    do you know what kind of chickens these are? do you know their aprox. age?
    there is a section on the board called "what breed or gender is this" and that is where you will want to post this question for sure. also, take a look at some of the posts already in that section and you may find the information you need to sex your chickens!
    in particular this thread has been tremendously helpful to me - just click the link to get there:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27652

happy chicken sexing!
    [​IMG]

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    While we wait for a pic, I will tell you, the good news is that the one with bigger comb and wattles might just be closer to laying than the others.

4. groovimum

Dec 17, 2007
    Thanks guys will try to post photo tomorrow. Ps thanks for naming the wattles . I appreciate quick response.

5. groovimum

Dec 17, 2007
    The chickens are Isa browns thats what we call them in Australia. and are about 15-17 weeks old.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Isa Browns are a sex-linked bird created by mating a red male with a silver gened female, all the males are white with a few red and black feathers, the females are red with white around the neck and tail. The females should look a bit like this:

[​IMG]

They are fabulous layers and I just love my girl she's so sweet! [​IMG]

7. groovimum

Dec 17, 2007
    Thats exactly what my birds look like thanks for info. Will try and get pics

8. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    see! it works! isn't this site GREAT?

it's almost like getting an information "egg" when questions get answered - it's exciting and fun too! or maybe i'm just a big ol' dork!

9. groovimum

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi all, hope you're all well. I managed to get some pics and hopefully i'll be able to attatch them. Just another question wy are some of my hens combs very pale is it immaturity?? YourLinkGoesHere [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Uh oh... I am feeling my rooster alarm going off for pic number three... The rest look like hens to me tho!! That is just what I think, I would wait until some more experienced people posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by