Sexing Chickens online

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by modenacart, Jul 28, 2008.

1. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    If you pullet has been sexed a roo by someone online, I would wait it out until you really know. I have had three chicks sexed by pictures only and only one was sexed correctly. I was plesantly surprised that two turned out to be pullets when people thought they were roos.

Just some food for thought

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Determining gender in person is hard enough - from a picture it can be even trickier!

I also recommend waiting until you can fully see rooster tail feathers coming in, hear a crow, or see an egg. I've got 15 Ameraucanas and I swear I go from having 5 roosters one day to 10 the next to 13 and then back to 5 again.

I'm giving up until I see tail feathers!

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's fun trying to guess though and see what others think. I wouldn't rely on anything until they lay eggs or crow though(like others said). It's kind of like expecting a baby and not finding out what the gender is, but having fun at playing the guessing game.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I only try to sex breeds I've personally watch grow up and turn into roos/hens. There's always a slow developing rooster or fast developing hen that throws me off. But I will guarantee a 50 percent accuracy rate. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by