1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AshevilleChef62, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AshevilleChef62

AshevilleChef62 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I have four new chickens. They are rescues and was told three are hens and one is a roo. Would love to know for sure as they are older and at least two of them crow, possibly three are crowers. Any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

I have seen the gold one crow as well as the Rhode Island Red. The closest two in the picture are the same breed and I have not seen either of them crow but I have heard three distinctly different crows. The RI Red I have seen crow also. The two in the front are the ones I have not seen crow. They have been in my yard since Saturday, Jan. 21. A Tyson truck wrecked and these were part of 65 that my friend rescued. Hoping to have three hens and one rooster.

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Think you might have 4 roosters there. The 2 in the front are definately roosters. If you have seen the other 2 grow then then are roosters too, but they look like hens to me as they don't have any glossy feathers or 'pointed' feathers on their necks. So my guess at the moment it 2 roosters and 2 hens.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If you have seen the RIR and the Buff crowing, then they are roosters. The other 2 are definitely roosters as well.

4. broodybantam

broodybantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    out of this pic the rir looks like a hen and the buff you cannot tell, but the two "twins" are roos

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    The two "twins" are roos for sure. The buff looks slightly roo-ish from the tail, but your statement that it has crowed confirms it. The RIR, however, still looks like a hen for now.

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I see three roos there. I can't tell on the RIR, but I see definite pointy, draping saddle feathers on the buff and the two multi colored ones are very obvious roos. If you have seen the RIR crow then it is probably a roo also. I would need a closer pic to tell on that one because I can't see the saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by