Sexing chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cleoppa, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cleoppa

cleoppa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    OK, so when will you know who's a boy and who's a girl? My 8 chickens (ameraucanas, brown leghorns, australorp and buff orpington) are now about 6 weeks old. When is it that you'll be able to tell who's who?

Also, is the "Japanese" method of sexing really as difficult as it sounds? After I got the chickens (couple days old), I had a kid who was in FFA at school sex them. But everywhere you read says how it takes years to learn how to do it... seems a little crazy to me. I know how to sex baby bunnies and that's pretty simple. But now I'm having my doubts. My 3 straight run brown leghorns were supposedly two pullets and one rooster. But by the way their combs are growing, I'd say they're the exact opposite.... Any thoughts?

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Pictures really help. I'm not familar with the Japanese method of sexing; is it the same as vent sexing? Vent sexing is only about 90% accurate. Roosters tend to get their combs faster, so you might have two roosters and one hen. If you want a better guess try posting pictures.

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Mine are 7 weeks old mixed breeds at 4 weeks one of my brown Leghorn started growing a comb none of the others really have so he definitely a little roo. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by