Sexing chicks at 5-7days old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickmumjo, Mar 19, 2019.

1. chickmumjo

chickmumjo In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi, my little boys nursery has hatched some chicks and we said we'd like to take 3 girls.. however the new company they used hasn't supplied them with chicks that can be colour sexed.. there was a definite mix of eggs- possibly some were pekin bantams n not sure of the others. I've took photos of the wings and did a little research and was hoping that I could maybe sex them based on primary and coverts but not sure if it will work at aged 5-7days or if it works for pekins and mystery breeds? I'm meant to be taking them in 2 days time and I don't have the heart to cull males and already have one roo so not wanting more.. so really hoping I can sex them.
    Any advice would be muchly appreciated xx

HennyPenny2019 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Wing feather sexing can only be done on birds bred specifically for that trait. Do you have pictures of the whole bird? At the very least, we may be able to detect early blooming males.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  3. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    At such a young age the only way to sex them is probably to look at their size and behaviour. Males tend to be larger with thicker legs and a more upright stance. They also tend to be bolder, braver and more aggressive with each other. These are generalisations and there will always be exceptions, but the more reliable sex indicators of wattles and comb don't start to come in until about 3 weeks minimum.

4. chickmumjo

Nov 10, 2018
    I'm afraid I didn't get pictures of the birds while they were walking around :( I will try to find out from the company what other possible breeds they are. I think the 2 black ones are one breed and possibly the other 3 are another. There was small white eggs and some larger brown eggs so probably (hopefully) just 2 breeds.. here's the pics I did take..

Attached Files:

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You'll have to wait ~6 weeks when males will be revealed by redder combs and wattles.

6. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    The browns look like Mille Fleur D'Uccles. All I can tell you with certainty is the first black one is a male. The second black one is female.

7. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Too young. Post pics of the combs at 6 weeks.

Wing sexing only works for specifically bred hybrids.

aart likes this.
  8. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I'm going by head spots on the black ones

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  9. chickmumjo

Nov 10, 2018
    Thanks for your replies. The company got back to me and said the black ones look like cuckoo marans- but the guy said that the one you've said looks male looks female.. it was a different pic I showed him tho- one I took yesterday- do you think they're cuckoo marans too?
    I would post pics at 6 weeks but I'm not necessarily going to get them yet as I don't want 5 boys.. x

Attached Files:

10. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    If large fowl, the browns are probably actually Buff Brahmas.

The guy is probably wrong. Those do like cuckoo marans. Barred and cuckoo birds can be sexed at hatch by the size and shape of their head dot. A large, faded, blotchy dot means two copies of the sex linked genes. Those are male. Females can only get one copy and so their dot is small and clean, like the second one.

The black one with the small head dot is the only obvious female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: