1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing chicks by behaviour?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiki244, Jan 22, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have 3 modern game chicks that are now 9 weeks old. I noticed that at a very young age one of them made a little "alarm" call when it saw something out of the corner of "his" eye. Just like the big roosters! Well it was easy to check because the males and females feather in different colors. I put a band on his leg and yes hes a he. Last night I read this somewhere as a tool to sex chicks at a very young age. Just throw a soft object over their heads and watch and listen to them. Its cute to know the little guys are doing their job so early. Maybe not so cute if you are hoping for a pullet.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, they will fool you, though. I've had pullets who sound the alarm while the little cockerels duck.
    The other day, I had an interesting incident with 13 chicks of mixed ages from 7-13 weeks old. They were all outside in the pen when some sudden loud sound came from the neighbors down the hill, I think a tractor motor starting up. I heard a screech and they all hit the dirt next to the building and under the ramp, except for one lone chick. My Blue Orpington cockerel, the youngest of the entire bunch, stood out in the open at attention, frozen like a statue, on guard. It was awesome to see him being a rooster at only 7 weeks old. Even my 13 week old cockerels hid, LOL.

3. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

my hen who survived a dog attack will watch over the others...

she jumps onto the hen house and stands up real tall untill all the others are in bed then she goes in. The watchdog so to speak.

On the ground she stands bolt upright....

Maybe the dog attack toughened her up.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My wyndotte hen watches over the rest of my flock especialy when they are out in the large free range pen.

Henry

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    so much for my theory-but what a lot of interesting stories-

Chickens will never stop amazing me!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by