Sexing chicks by posture?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SproutGirl, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Has anyone ever noticed that male chicks stand up taller and stretch up more than the female ones do? Or, maybe I am just making this up in a hopeful attempt to identify baby chicks a little more easily. What do you think? Do your baby roos try to stand taller than your baby pullets, who might look a little more squat?

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I hope this isn't always accurate. I've got one 3wk GLW that I'm sure is a cockerel, and he stands just like a little roo.

I've got one little black chick who is my favorite, and I'm hoping she's a she. Every time our dog sticks his nose in the box, she jumps up and pecks him. Today she jumped up and grabbed his tongue, and when he lifted his head out, she hung on! She stands tall and looks around every chance she gets, and is my most curious chick. Please let her be a girl!!!

[​IMG]

Otherwise, some of my 3wk chicks are low, some stand high, but they're all supposed to be pullets except the free exotic...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Honestly, I have never noticed that. About the only thing I've noticed when they're really young, 1-2 weeks, is that the roos start the fights. Yes, I've had them bucking up to each other at 2 days old.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My first batch of silkies, we thought that was significant when some had a much more upright posture than others early on.

Two out of the three we were SURE had to be a roo based on posture were girls.

Several of the roosters ended up being ones that were smaller in stature and the way they carried themselves.

In my experience....not a very reliable way to tell...

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Today she jumped up and grabbed his tongue, and when he lifted his head out, she hung on! She stands tall and looks around every chance she gets, and is my most curious chick.

...Hate to say it, but from what I gather on this board - your she is acting like a he.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:I'm going to continue to call her Minerva... I'll go with the power of positive thinking! [​IMG]

7. chicklvr4ever

chicklvr4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Florida
    shes aborable hope its a she.

but my pullet has a squat when she stands:D

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The chest bumping and posture are not sure signs of a cockerel in the making. I can tell you that with confidence. I have seen little pullets do lots of chest bumping to establish order and they are also just as curious as the cockerel standing next to them. Posture in my eyes is a matter of personality. You will have curious chicks and shy chicks, regardless of sex.

Jody

9. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I don't know how accurate that is. I was almost 100% sure that this one was a boy. Always standing up tall, belly butting with everyone, BUT this is Blue, SHE is a doll baby! Was a bit dissapointed that she turned out to be a girl, but thats ok I love her anyway!

[​IMG]

10. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    They say you can wave a hat over your chicks (in a sweeping motion across the top of them) and the roos will stand up and make a whirring sound and the pullets will hunker down and be quiet. This actually worked for me. I've kept a couple I thought were probably roos in other respects because of doing this and having them crouch down and get quiet. They are now almost 19 weeks old and altho I have no eggs from them yet, they are showing no signs of crowing, getting big red combs/wattles or getting saddle/hackle feathers. So I'm pretty sure they are pullets.

Of course there are no guarantees until they lay an egg! As someone above said, they all have different personalities and it also takes some longer than others to get their "roo on"!! Luckily after all these weeks of wondering and trying every method known to man or woman to sexing these chicks, I should start getting eggs soon and then I'll know for sure!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by