sexing chicks by sounds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stcroixusvi, Jul 24, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I saw the post about the possibility of sexing chicks by behavior, but I wonder if you can do it by sounds? Our two roos started making a very different noise early on - 3-4 weeks, maybe, especially our head roo. It was more of a cherp cherp than a peep peep. Any science to back me up??

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The only reliable sexing is vent sexing, unless the chickens were bred specifically to be sexed by color/feather length.

3. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:I know this is true, particularly for baby chicks, but I wonder if anyone else hears different sounds coming from their roos long before the saddle or hackle feathers come in.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Well, yes. If it crows, it is probably a rooster.

I have had banty roos crow as early as 10 days, but then it didn't happen again for a while. My silkie and D'uccle roos start trying to crow between 3 and 5 weeks---which sucks when you are brooding them indoors.

5. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    It's not a crowing, but a different chirp. And it is not a crowing to alarm or sound, just a noise that the birds make as they putter around the coop. Crowing isn't exactly chatting. The sounds these boys have made since early on is more of a chatter.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Sound sexing of chicks"---Guaranteed! (50% successful) [​IMG]

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I am giving you a hard time now... lol!

No, sound sexing is only going to make you crazy. But you keep listening, because eventually, in 12 weeks or so, you'll be able to tell the boys from girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by