Sexing chicks...I know been adked 1million times before but....

rncmomx2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Can you please help me:D

I have some chicks that are suppose to be all roosters but I think they aren't. I have 11 that have tail feathers and 5 that don't. The 11 with tail feathers are almost fully feathered while the ones who don't are spotty feathered. The chicks are about 5 weeks old and were wing sexed at about 1 week old to be all roosters. Can you tell in RIR at this age by tail feathers and other feather development?

Usually, males feather out slower than females. With RIR's you can usually see signs by four weeks old, like super thick legs on the boys. If you post pics, I'm sure some of us will take an educated guess.

Someone here at BYC helped me determine the sex of my hens at about five weeks with this information. Thanks to whoever it was. Hope it helps you!
yippiechickie.gif

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Ok I have 11 that look like this

SANY1744.jpg

and 5 that look like this

SANY1746.jpg

Yes I need all roos LOL

I had a few people ask me get a roo for them and raise it for them for there girls.

Last edited:
Just an educated guess here, but the more fully feathered ones are going to be your pullets. By the way, wing sexing only works on breeds bred to be wing/feather sexed. It doesn't work with all breeds.

Last edited:
Thats what I thought but alot of people think differently LOL

I will be really happy but sad at the same time, I need at least 10 roos but I guess the girls can stay with me.

Back
Top Bottom