1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing chicks - male or female?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigbum1984, Apr 2, 2013.

1. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    I have 7 3 1/2 week old chicks, not sure what breeds they are but two seem to have more of a comb than the others, i will try to upload photos. Any ideas????

2. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    [​IMG]

3. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    [​IMG]

4. salahzantout

salahzantout Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    i do not know of breeds
    but have seen on youtube that u can distinguish a male chick from a female by their wing feather, the female would grow up faster...

5. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    This only works on a few breeds. And if you do feather sex it is best to do it when they are very young. 1-3 days the most. They first one looks like some kind of rose cob. Wyandotto maybe? The second...not sure. you shou ld post full body pics if you really want to know the breeds. The last one might be a roo...Not sure though. Quite a bit of cob.

6. leemamahen

leemamahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Western MA
    I can't be sure without seeing the rest of this little chick but it sure looks like my white leghorns. Mine are all supposed to be pullets but they all have pretty big combs that look just like yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by