1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing chicks on heritage breeds?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by estheramelia, Feb 20, 2016.

1. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    Is there any way to known the gender of one day old heritage breed chicks? If I take the chicks to the vet for a DNA sexing, how long would it have to wait to get the results? Help!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Unless it's an autosexing breed, no. Most heritage breeds can be sexed at 8-12 weeks of age.

Most vets will get you DNA results in 1-2 weeks, but some of the slower places can take up to 4. Average test cost is $25-$35 per bird.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    On certain breeds you can wing sex chicks by the way the primary feathers come in. I know it works on rhode island red chicks.

I don't remember if you are looking for straight line of feathers or offset.

But a gentleman sexed some out of a straight run pen. Wanted 10 hens. He spread their wings and I got 10 hens.

4. compubob1

compubob1 New Egg

May 21, 2015
    All long are male and alternating female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by