Sexing Chicks? This is cool !!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bkbingham, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bkbingham

bkbingham Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'm on dial-up so I can't watch the utube, but I saw an episode on tv once that showed sexing by wings. I'm not sure you can do that with all breeds though, and I think that they may breed for that. but it worked on chicks that i bought at my local feed store. RIR's

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yeah, it only works if you breed a fast feathering bird to a slow feathering bird. I believe the offspring are the opposite and can be feather sexed. It doesn't work for all breeds, thus the use of vent sexing by hatcheries for other breeds.

Jody

4. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

It was hard to tell from the vid on the link. What was he seeing on the males' wings...no feathers? I could see the feathers he was showing on the females. Does anyone have any more information on this...it is very interesting.

5. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    wow thanks for showming me this now i know how to sex my chicks

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:So if you didn't set up the maiting, it won't work.

They are looking for the length of the primary vs secondary feathers on the wings.

7. bkbingham

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
    Quote:Watch the other video they have a better picture of the wings...

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    You need to breed a fast feathering roo to a slow feathering hen to get this wingsexing to work, as far as I know the only types of chickens bred for that are production white leghorns and meat chickens.

As day-olds males will only have 1 row of wingfeathers while females will have 2 rows, a long and a shorter one.

I tried this method on other, heritage breeds and it does not work.

9. bkbingham

Jun 1, 2008
    Bunkerville, NV
    Why would a huge company such as McMurray, use this tecnique then? He said he processes about 20 thousand chics a day that way!

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:He was probably processing meatbirds and leghorn chicks for commercial laying and grow-out operations, they would probably process a couple of thousands of these breeds a day just for that purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by