Sexing chicks

Goatmama123

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
These are my first chicks- I have 10 total, there are 4 easter eggers and 6 olive eggers. They are all between 1-2 weeks old.

I noticed that some of them have... what seem to be rooster plume feathers growing near their rear ends. Is this a way to sex chickens? Some of them of the same age do not have these feathers which makes me think it is rooster specific

I have posted some pics for reference. First pic chick one (if this theory is correct) would be a hen while chick 2 could be a rooster.

Pic 2.. This chick is the biggest of all the chicks which already made him a rooster suspect, and he is kind of a ********. He has big feathers that stick out from his rump.

Am I totally off with this theory?

While cockerels 5-10 weeks may have curled tail feathers and cockerels 10-12+ weeks will develop sickles, except in breeds with the sex-linked slow feathering gene, this type of feather sexing is not accurate in birds this young. Even in older birds, hens may sometimes grow curved tails (though never real sickles).

While cockerels 5-10 weeks may have curled tail feathers and cockerels 10-12+ weeks will develop sickles, except in breeds with the sex-linked slow feathering gene, this type of feather sexing is not accurate in birds this young. Even in older birds, hens may sometimes grow curved tails (though never real sickles).
x2

Back
Top Bottom