1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaurynRose, Oct 22, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    Hello all! I have black copper marans and olive eggers. They are 2 weeks old today and I read that one way to sex them is by tailfeathers. 4 of my chucks have tailfeatehr and 2 do not at all. Dies this mean they are roosters? Thanks for any responses.

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have pictures? Personally, I've had both pullets with no tail, and cockerels with large tails, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that method. Comb and wattles are (in my opinion) much more accurate! [​IMG]

~Alex

3. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    Here's one I can send you one of each individual when I get home! Thanks!

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the picture! I'm actually thinking it might be a little early to tell.....[​IMG] Perhaps in a few weeks we could get an updated look?

~Alex

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How to sex chicks is a very common topic on here. It’s not an exact science. I’ll give a link that might help.

How to sex chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

As you can see there are a whole lot of clues that indicate one way or another, but most of those clues don’t kick in until they are around five weeks old or even older, sometimes much older. A lot of times you get conflicting clues. As that link says, “Sexual dimorphism exist, however, there can be females that exhibit male traits and males that exhibit female traits”.

I can occasionally tell at hatch if a certain chick is male but posture and body conformation, especially heavy legs. But that is really rare. I can never tell for sure that a certain chick is female at hatch. Often around five weeks I am reasonably comfortable with my guesses, though with varying degrees of certainty. But last year I had one at three months that I thought was a pullet but turned out to be a very slow-developing cockerel.

If you wait another three or so weeks and give us photos showing the head, especially comb and wattles, and another shot showing the body posture and conformation, including legs, we can probably make some reasonable guesses. But until then it’s really difficult.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've had very good results with looking at color and size of comb and wattles at 5-6 weeks.
    Males get red and larger, female are still pale and smaller...works on pretty much most LF breeds.

7. simone677

simone677 New Egg

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know if my 4week old I'd make or female?

8. simone677

simone677 New Egg

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s probably just a bit early to be sure. That comb looks like a male, that would be my guess, but don’t do anything drastic yet. Wait a bit longer to be absolutely sure. But make your plans for a male.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with RR, comb looks big.....but it's so dark, comb/skin looks blackish, what breed bird?
    Not sure if red comb/wattles at 5-6 weeks will tell the tale with this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by