sexing chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pefferlawchicken, Apr 18, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok , so my chicks are about 2 weeks old , when can i tell if they are males or females , will combs grow in faster on males?? how does it work?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I suggest you do a search , here on BYC. There are lots of suggestions for different stages of growth. Usually, I just wait to see who crows....but then I've been told that hens will also crow, sometimes? [​IMG]
    It also depends on the breed of chicken and do they have single, rose or pea combs?
    I like the pointed or rounded neck feathers myself for distinguishing male or female.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. haycroft

haycroft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    UK
    i would like to know aswell...i tried to do the feather test when they were a few days old and i think that suggests that i have three girls BUT im not sure...soon find out sooner or later...or good fun watching them grow and develop

4. bluetaterbaby

bluetaterbaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Ripley
    I'm glad someone posted this. I, too, can't tell. I have standard cochin chicks; some 1 week, others 4 on Monday. One of my older ones has a more of a fluffy tail than the 6 others. Some are feathered out more than the others. On the 1 week olds; some have little wing feathers while others are just growing like crazy with no feathers starting. I can always wait and see who crows or lays an egg, but, it would be nice to know before then. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Too bad they don't have a skin prick test where you put a drop of blood on litmus paper or something. That would be the BOMB!![​IMG]

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Quote:Cochins are notoriously slow growing and maturing. I have always been able to make pretty good guesses that are normally right by 5 weeks on the other breeds.

I have five week old Rocks and I am 90% sure I have three roos and 5 hens... [​IMG] There is only one I dont know about. I have actually had two of the roos picked out since 3 weeks. The combs not only are bigger, but they get pinker. The wattles start showing up where on the hens you can't see them hardly at all.

And two of the three roos are much bigger then the hens already.

I can post pictures of them tomorrow if it would help anyone. [​IMG]

7. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    yes pics would help
    [​IMG]

8. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    There is wing feather sexing between newborn and 3 days. After that you watch the combs, waddles, and feathers. Roos will usually have pointy neck and saddle feathers, hens will usually have rounded. It's not foolproof though, my EE hen has pointed neck feathers and there is no doubt that she is a hen. pea combs and small rose combs can be very late to develop but my Wyandottes that just turned 8 weeks yesterday have enough comb and waddle growth to tell the difference now. My SSH which has a larger type rose comb was obvious a cockerel at 3 weeks old. Red is usually a good indicator although occasionally you come across a breed or variety that is just naturally more red. Then you have to rely on early waddle growth and comparing it to others with the same breed and variety if you have that option. My GL Wyandottes are sexed pullets from the hatchery, compared to my other varieties they all look like cockerels, they are so red, but they have the pullet coloring and rounded feathers.

Even all that said, sometimes you have to wait for full tail feathering, spurs, and/or crowing. Most times if it crows, has a long droopy tail, and has spurs, it's a cockerel. There is the occasional instance of hens with these characteristics. If you are still in doubt you will know when it lays an egg or doesn't :lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by