Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1 Red Hen, Aug 5, 2009.

1. 1 Red Hen

1 Red Hen Hatching

Aug 5, 2009
    I want to sex my new hatchlings. How do you determine sex just after hatching or a day or two later?

2. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Songster

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I'm afraid this is a challenging skill people go to a special school to learn. Unless you have bred a sex-link breed, you are not likely to be able to do so this early. What kind of chicks do you have?

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    Don't even think about vent sexing. If you want, try this method I used (approximately 60 percent accuracy). First you wait until they are at least three weeks old. Then you hold them one at a time on your lap so they are on their backs. A hen's legs fold in front (or wiggle franticly), a rooster's legs hang out behind them (or wiggle franticly). I tried it on some White Wyandotte "cockerels" (actually two were hens). It mostly worked!
    Please don't laugh or say I'm cruel, vent sexing is more dangerous for the chicken than my method!

4. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I have read or seen that you can sex by the wing feathers.

Something like if all stems or feather stalks on the wings are the same size they are a Roo. If they alternate between each being long then short then long it is a Hen.

I have not tried it but I have seen in a video that is how the do the majority of sorting at some hatcheries.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have heard and tried a few methods
    1. hens get their tail feathers first ETA: 70% accuracy
    2. roosters get pointed feathers hens round
    3. rooster are friendlier

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: