1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Woods_Woman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Has anyone tried the magnet on a string method for Sexing? If so what are your thoughts on this?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It's BS. Not trying to be negative, but it doesn't work.

3. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    What's the magnet on a string thing? I've never heard of it? Is it like a divining rod for chickens? Or putting a woman's wedding ring on a string and holding it over her pregnant belly to determine the gender of the baby? [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:That's exactly what it's like. [​IMG]

5. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I've tried it and it is very accurate on all my pet's(dog's, cat's) that I already know the sex of. Even tried it on my Hen's which I know are hen's and it was right on. However, on my 6 wk old splash Silkie it say's roo, and I dont want to believe it. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    but how exactly does it work what will the ring or the magnet do?

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    enguiring minds want to know.. how do you do it

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We bought our first four "pullets" from a vet who sells chickens. We really only wanted hens. She told us about the pendulum on a string thing. She disappeared into the house and came back with it. She held it over each bird and the way it swung told her that they were all pullets. Three months later we were re-homing the two roos! I am not a believer. [​IMG]

9. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:When you know the sex already it will swing whichever way you're thinking...at least that's what I've been told. It doesn't seem to work if you don't know the sex.

10. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Well darn..Knew it was to good to be true. I am always a sucker when it comes to getting suckered..lol [​IMG]

For those that asked here is what it looks like. Swings back in fourth for male, or swings around for female.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by