sexing chicks

kwhorne

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Following up on the post by NAMBLE. I have 9 RIR chicks that are 6 weeks old. Two of them have very prominent combs and are larger than their siblings. They are also a little more agressive than the others. Is this a good sign their cockerals? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

This is the first time I've had boys, but I have noticed that my boys will run and jump on other chickens backs. It's just a quick jump followed by the death shriek of the recipient. My girls just seem to run up and flare their neck feathers. (my boys also do this, but the girls don't do the jumping part, at least I haven't seen them do it)

ETA: My chicks are 5 1/2 weeks old and the males already have started turning red and their wattles are starting to emerge. The females still have very small combs (not red) and no wattles yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our chicks are eight weeks hardley a comb and no wattles........
sad.png

Guess it would depend on the breed of chickns you have benji. I have 7 week olds that i can definately tell male from female already. Now wish it was that easy with the darn turkeys lol.

My japanese bantams I can tell by 4weeks which are roos, the seramas close to that, and the bantam EE by 8weeks. My welsummer crosses I can't tell until they are nearly mature which is forever. The hens don't lay until about 8months old. The chicks all hatch with large combs and don't change until they are ready to mate or lay.

I was going to post a similar question. Mine are 12 weeks, and only one seems to have a slightly more prominent comb. Otherwise they all okk like pullets. My other roos were definately roos by this age,or am i misremembering?

Back
Top Bottom