sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kwhorne, Dec 2, 2009.

1. kwhorne

kwhorne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    Following up on the post by NAMBLE. I have 9 RIR chicks that are 6 weeks old. Two of them have very prominent combs and are larger than their siblings. They are also a little more agressive than the others. Is this a good sign their cockerals? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Generally yes. As they get older most boys will start to show signs of a larger red comb.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This is the first time I've had boys, but I have noticed that my boys will run and jump on other chickens backs. It's just a quick jump followed by the death shriek of the recipient. My girls just seem to run up and flare their neck feathers. (my boys also do this, but the girls don't do the jumping part, at least I haven't seen them do it)

ETA: My chicks are 5 1/2 weeks old and the males already have started turning red and their wattles are starting to emerge. The females still have very small combs (not red) and no wattles yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    Our chicks are eight weeks hardley a comb and no wattles........ [​IMG]

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Guess it would depend on the breed of chickns you have benji. I have 7 week olds that i can definately tell male from female already. Now wish it was that easy with the darn turkeys lol.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My japanese bantams I can tell by 4weeks which are roos, the seramas close to that, and the bantam EE by 8weeks. My welsummer crosses I can't tell until they are nearly mature which is forever. The hens don't lay until about 8months old. The chicks all hatch with large combs and don't change until they are ready to mate or lay.

7. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    I was going to post a similar question. Mine are 12 weeks, and only one seems to have a slightly more prominent comb. Otherwise they all okk like pullets. My other roos were definately roos by this age,or am i misremembering?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by