Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickanddoglvr, Nov 1, 2010.

1. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I am thinking about getting a rooster but don't want any more than 1 rooster with my girls. I want to hatch eggs. I dont want to haft to kill any little baby roos. any way to tell them apart before you incubate them? Also anything on getting started on this adventure to.
    Thanks

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    nope, you've gotta just take your chances. Best way to get rid of extra roos is to eat them or give them away on Craigslist.

You could buy from chicks from a hatchery instead; they are fairly accurate with sexing.

Good luck!

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Where do you plan on buying your chicks from? Usually at feedstores they have the chicks labeled as pullets which would be female or straight run which would be a mix of male and female.

If you are hatching eggs, after they hatch you will have a while to determine the sex, but you should know within the first 2 months.

4. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I am going to buy some in the begining but i don't want to have any roos. I like the idea of raising baby chicks and hatching them. Is there a place that just takes them cause i dont want the roos!

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:You could post an add on craigslist, people will usually take them if they are free. You do have a better chance of getting female chicks from a feedstore or hatchery than from hatching yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by