sexing chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BornInSpain, May 16, 2011.

1. BornInSpain

BornInSpain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    Hi, I would like to know how long before I may be able to tell the gender of my baby chicks, i hatched Black copper Marans, Ameraucanas, and silkies. What should I look for and about when. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    When I begin seeing a change in the youngsters is when they fully grow into there feather's, at this time the pullets will have a prominent tail feather's that are erect on both sides and is protruding straight up. The rooster's will have none to a small few feathers that droop. The comb of the rooster will grow faster than the little hens that are developing. It is possible that the hens grow faster and you should notice a big difference in there breast cavity, the rooster will feel like there is a bridge in the middle and the hen is nice and plump. You could also vent sex them, If you are careful to pick up there back sides and gently pull the vent open. The pullet will have a straight area with a small triangle. the cockerel will have a noticeable protruding bump. I look under a bright white light. Also when they are a day old you can look at there feather's and the cockerel will have more feathers at the tip of the wing. This will be a fun challenge as you learn to do this I have allot of success with these methods I almost forgot another clue when I am choosing at the feed store the smallest chick is usually a cockerel.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by