sexing chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AprilW, Jul 4, 2011.

1. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. I am expecting an order of bantam EE later this week. I've been reading up on various ways to identify sex in chicks because I would like to pick out the pullets as early as possible to keep and move out the roos + excess pullets I can't keep. Plus I can't take the suspense of watching chicks grow and trying to guess. lol Feather sexing seems the easiest but I've read it isn't possible in all breeds. Are EE one of those breeds?

How difficult is it to vent sex? Is it worth trying?

Of course, I don't mind keeping them all until they are older and I can tell visually what they are. I'd just like knowing. [​IMG]

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs (love him!) did a segment or two on hatcheries and sexing chickens. You can search YouTube or Discovery Channel to find them. They were pretty interesting and showed vent sexing.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Vent sexing is actually a bit of an art form. To this day, some hatcheries send their employees to Japan in order to learn it (it was developed there). There are as many as 15 vent patterns involved in sexing, and it does take a trained eye to discern sex.

If you want to take all the stress out of sexing your birds, I would suggest sticking to hybrids that are specifically developed to be easily sexed at birth. Gold/Red sex-links, and black sex-links are good birds that produce oodles of eggs. They are born a specific color depending on their gender, and thus are fairly fool-proof (though sometimes the hatcheries get careless and toss in a male. It is rare though).

Hope that helps!

4. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    Can EE bantams be feather sexed then? It isn't a huge deal if I can't tell what they are right away, I just like knowing. [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    EEs can be feather sexed, but not in the way you are asking. The males and females have the same growth patterns in their primaries, so that will not assist you.

However, EE males and females have different coloration patterns that someone with a trained eye can take note of around week 4 to 5. Their feathers sex them at that point because of pattern.

I would suggest posting pictures of your babies around that age here in this forum, and you should get posts that will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There is a reason most hatcheries don't offer sexed bantams. Even if you were somewhat knowledgeable about vent sexing, trying it on a mini-chick is a whole different ballgame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by