Sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 1, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Is there a way I can sex my own chicks? I have no idea how to do it and I have chicks due next Saturday. I'm splitting them with a friend and I want an even number of roosters/hens.

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    if ya watch some of the hatchery videos, they show ya how to feather sex them.

3. look up p'fowls page and they show how to sex them by their bottom on one of their things about sexing chicks. i hope you can find it!

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm going to try vent sexing them but I have no idea how. XD Feather sexing I don't think will work. All my chicks are mixed and I can't guarantee their genes will be right for it.
    If you vent sex them before they eat anything will you have to squeeze the poo out of them? 'Cause I would rather avoid that part if I can... [​IMG]

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Excellent!! Thank you so much! That is very helpful. I should bookmark it before I forget. [​IMG] Thank you again!

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I wonder who reported it as offensive... lol "CHICKEN BUTT!!! TURN AROUND KIDS! THOSE PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! I'm flagging them!" really?[​IMG]Guess what guys! Chickens have butts. And they don't wear pants. Fact of life.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

9. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I noticed in my older birds all the hens have brown / yelow eyes and my roster has clear color eyes, (not the black thing in the middle) so i wonder if you could use this, or might just be my roster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by