1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken-whisper, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Chicken-whisper

Chicken-whisper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Mass
    I've recently gained 6, 2 week old, Golden Laced Wyandottes and 6, 2 and a half week old, white Leghorns and I was wondering if there was any way to sex them at this age or should I wait a few more weeks? Some of the leghorn chicks have started to do the dominance battle so Im slightly sure they will be roos, its just so hard to tell the little buggers apart!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    At this age you can tell by red combs. You can also vent sex, look it up on youtube to see what you are looking for.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Vent sexing is for day old chicks in experienced hands. I would not suggest squeezing a two week old chick after watching a you tube video.

Many cockerel chicks begin comb development before six weeks and it's a rare pullet that does. So, if you see the comb growing and reddening already, it's almost certainly a male. That does not, however, mean all with pale combs at six weeks are pullets. Some cockerels are later to develop than others. It's also easiest to observe in single-combed breeds -- the Wyandottes can be extremely difficult to tell by comb development.

There is a "what breed/gender" board here. If you post photos at six weeks of age, experienced eyes can give you a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by