1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jimandcaitlin, Jan 14, 2015.

1. jimandcaitlin

jimandcaitlin Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    We just hatched 11 chicks. Dad is an EE, most of the hens are mutts. I got this one little chick I really like but its so pretty I'm thinking it's def a rooster. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Milkshake

Milkshake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2015
    Narnia, Australia
    I think you may have to wait for sexing that chick, it could be a rooster but you have to let it grow.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It's too young to determine gender. I'd post more photos when "it" is at least 6 weeks old.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Being colorful as a chick has nothing to do with gender...unless it is an autosexing breed where the color will indicate such.

Since you have mutts with an EE, you will get a lot of assortment and this little chick looks more wild type.

Watch and wait to see if it develops the mature adult feathers of a roo, where color often does matter....although I have some pretty hens.

Lady of McCamley

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - in the mean time just enjoy watching them grow and change.

7. Corydg

Corydg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Battle Ground Washington
    [​IMG]Anyone have any comments on what my frizzle cochin and regular cochin might be. They are about 2.5 weeks old. The frizzle has a comb appearing and shorter tail and the other does not.
    I also have a pair of 5 week old half ayem cemani and half mystery breed. Im thinking the darker one is a roo guven the comb compared to his sister. He is so sweet but peck[​IMG]1/id/6701[​IMG]659/width/200/height/400[/IMG]s endlessly at the little ones so I had to separate them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. Corydg

Corydg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Battle Ground Washington
    [​IMG]
    Im also wondering if anyone can guess what colors these all may be. Im totally new to this as of last week!
    thank you so much for any replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by