Sexing Chip, Doodle and Sunshine

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shezadandy, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Almost 3 weeks, early, will update pics as they get bigger.

The first two fall under generic EEs- these chicks came from local eggs hatched by 1st time broody who has been nice enough to let me handle them.

Chick 1: "Chip"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2: "Doodle" To me, Doodle is starting to look mighty rusty.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Together: Chip (left) and Doodle (right). Chip has that light salmon color coming in on her new chest feathers while Doodles has that rusty red showing up.

[​IMG]

Chick 3: "Sunshine"-- is way heavier than all the others and with that comb, I will be shocked if it's not a cockerel. I've got a list of breeds it could be though his description doesn't match any of the breeds themselves unless this is the lightest RIR ever- probably a cross.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

they are too young to sex accurately yet, but the one on the bottom has a big comb

3. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Yes, they're definitely not quite there, figured I'd document them over a period of time beginning now - when visible differences appeared.

'Sunshine' is markedly heavier. After picking 'him' up the other day it was like 'he' was wearing a lead blanket. =) Those little waddles are already getting a little color too, and that comb is starting to pop- pretty big for a day short of 3 weeks.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    If development continues as suggested, Chip and Doodle will be female EE's (the classic red/gold based partridge which is almost always female), and Sunshine looks suspiciously male with that comb. Sunshine also looks like it will be basically white which could be either gender...if white/black comes in, that is commonly a male EE pattern.

But it is too early to tell with certainty...you've got some hunches already though.

LofMc

5. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I do so very much hope you're right and the two EE's turn out to be pullets!

I'm not sure whether Sunshine is EE- if there are muffs, they're much less prominent than the other two. I know there was a Cream Legbar roo and an EE/Ameraucana roo and then there was a laundry list of other breeds on the hen side- and maybe other roos. This batch was more about finding local, cost effective fertile eggs to see if our hatchery BR that went broody would stick with it and raise chicks- and she did!- these guys (and their 2 grey siblings) are the cherry on top. Thank you for looking. I'll post more pictures in a week or so.

6. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Ok...with that understanding that this is truly a backyard mix...then time will tell. EE rules don't apply.

My barnyards develop in many different ways as there are so many genes in the mixture. The coloring patterns change almost daily. You can even see worrisome reddish brown enter then blend down on the wing bars and back to be a hen (but never true red bars...that will be male).

I think the comb is fine for a backyard mix...and looking closer...appears to be a single comb not an overdeveloped pea comb.

I've had backyard mix pullets mature very quickly and lay very early.

With this batch, you'll not know from one day to the next until something really begins to indicate roo or pullet...sometimes not until they crow or lay an egg.

Comb is usually the best indicator...and not size...but color. If by 6 weeks you've got large pink red comb, that will be a male. If it is larger but still very yellow, and remains so until about 12 weeks, it will likely be an early developing female....then it slowly pinks until point of lay which can be as early as 14 to 16 weeks if they are raised out doors in lengthening daylight as they mature.

Have fun guessing :D
    LofMc

7. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Thanks! Breed and gender guessing is definitely the fun part after waiting for the first peep under the broody on hatch day. It's a dash of excitement swimming in someone else's gene pool- loving the broody raised method. My oldest 2 cockerels are 12 weeks- maybe by the time I have another broody demanding eggs I'll have my own. =)

Everyone spends most of their day outside. I think we're at our longest daylight hours right now- July is when it starts to slowly go the other way.

Sunshine is already showing color in the comb- got a better picture today. Red especially when compared to the other 2 straight-comb chicks, yellow combs. (Sunshine's brown splotches are dirt, not feathers)

[​IMG]

8. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree that is looking very red for such a little one. If it remains that color and grows, then definitely male.

Broody hatches are the only way to go for me now....once you let momma do all the work, who wants to mess with heat lamps, dust and clutter in the garage.

My broody babes are always healthier and mature better, faster, and smarter.

Happy hatching.
    LofMc

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good broodies are one of nature's treasures

10. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Absolutely the best!