sexing cockatiels?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by spish, Jan 5, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i picked up 2 hand tame cockatiels 2 days ago and am totally in love [​IMG]

the woman told me it was 2 girls..but i beg to differ. i had a male back in england (he always whistled, was oh so friendly and did that rubbing his bits against the perchs thing(!))

one of these 2 is doing the same. it whistles and 'sings' all day long, the other is pretty much silent apart from the rare screech.

but....the one i suspect is male is grey and white..it has no orange 'cheek' patches at all (dont males have the brightest orange cheeks normally?)

the one that i think is female has barred feathers under her tail but has really bright orange cheeks???

im confused.

they are both around 10 months old....if they are m + f.....at what age do they begin to breed? what size nest box do they need?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    There are so many mutations of cockatiels now, I don't even know them all. Some of them are easier to sex than others. Here is a link to a good article that should help you out. http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/cockatiels.htm

I love my pair, although they aren't tame. Yours are beautiful

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many thanks for the link, seems my male is a white faced pearl....and definatly male....

still stumped on the 'female' now though.....couldnt find her mutation in the link. her face colouring points to male but the banding on the wing/tail feathers and lack of singing point to female?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The females have barring on the bottom side of their tail.The pied looks to be a male.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    judging by the cheeks id say the peid is a male, and the white face is almost impossible to visually sex but also likley male, females will masturbate (rubbing against things) but males are typcially much more chattery than females.

i know think you can sex them by tail barring on the white faced either.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    If they have bars, they're female. No matter how orange their cheeks are. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I was told that one of my females was male. No bars on her tail feathers. She and her mate have mated for 3 years but no eggs. My other pair also mated for years before laying. 10 months is too young in any case. Cute birds. The white face looks like a male.

8. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My mother had a cockatiel that would stand inside the food dish and grab seed with her feet while biting the bar and rub her back end back and forth on the edge of the dish. I always thought she was scratching her butt. She would also go to the bottom of the cage during the day and pull up the newspaper and go under it to sleep or maybe it was a nesting instinct. She got hers as a baby from our cousin and when it got older our cousin sexed it for us. She ran a pet store and had plenty of expierence with birds, dogs, cats, and fish.

9. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    If these are adults, the one with the red cheek is a cinnamon pearl and definitely a girl.

The other is a whiteface, the males and females both will not have a red cheek in the whitefaces, but the females are all gray (or cinammin) and the males have a white face, so it does look like you have a male there.

10. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Oh wanted to add that if the pearls go away (say this is not an adult) then your other is also a male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by