sexing cockatiels

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
can anyone please point me to a website that helps you sex cockatiels? i have 6 that i need to sex but havent a clue how!

You can try and post pics so I can see, I have 4. You can also look at the tail if it has barrings its a female if it dont its a male. If its a normal grey males have yellow faces females dont have as much yellow

ok heres a few pics.... theres 6 cockatiels altogether, 2 with full grey faces, 1 fully yellow/white body, one with a grey white body/yellow face, one with a grey/yellow body and another.

1. -
100_9038.jpg

100_9051.jpg

100_9049.jpg

100_9045.jpg

100_9052.jpg

100_9047.jpg

4+5.
100_9046.jpg

100_9050.jpg

100_9042.jpg

100_9055.jpg

100_9053.jpg

oh dear do IMG links no longer work here?
well if anyone can let me know how i post pics here now id be grateful...cant find an upload button anymore.....

and a few together

Last edited:
You have to upload the image url in the new photo button to post pictures directly

All of the cockatiels you posted appear to be hens--
The following are 100% for sure hens:

If this bird is mature (> 1.5 years old) then it appears to be a hen:

How old is this bird, if you know? Is it mature? Pearling is a sex-linked gene, and with only rare exceptions only hens will retain the pearling once they mature. Males will usually have pearling to being with but will molt into 'regular' colors at maturity.
I can't tell if this bird is a partially pearled female or if it's a male molting out of his pretty speckles. It looks as it it could be young based on the face but it's really hard to tell.

If this bird is mature, it is almost certainly a hen:

(If these are your birds, watch out that the budgies don't bother the cockatiel too much... 'tiels tend to be more laid back while budgies are boisterous. They can't hurt the cockatiel really, but they can stress her)

For the lutino bird (the white/pale yellow one), I can't tell based on your photo. Mature hens will usually retain very faint barring under the tail and possibly very very faint wing 'dots' on the insides of the primary flight feathers, but it's impossible to tell based on these photos. Does he/she display any male behaviors? Any long, whistled, boisterous 'singing'? Head-banging?

yes that bird in the last picture you answered on is the maturist bird out of them all...she is just over 2 yrs old. the 2 birds with complete grey faces are 8 months old...and the other three are 5months old

oh dear do IMG links no longer work here?
well if anyone can let me know how i post pics here now id be grateful...cant find an upload button anymore.....

Male pearl in the process of molting into his adult non-pearled plumage.

Male in the process of losing his juvenile tail bars.

Based on the age you provided, this is a female, simply because she has retained her pearl markings. Pearl females usually have yellow heads as well, so disregard this "usually" male trait.

I'm going to guess that this is PROBABLY a male, since you said he's among the youngest. He seems to have more yellow in the face than typical females, which PROBABLY means he's beginning to molt into his adult colors. A wrench would be if this bird happens to be split to pied, which is another possible origin for the yellow head feathers. You'll find out for sure in the next few months.

It's very hard to tell with this pic. Lutino females usually have faint yellow-on-white bars in their tail feathers, while lutino males have solid yellow OR white tail feathers. You'll have to take a closer look yourself. And keep in mind that the males get their solid tail feathers in their adult plumage, so if this bird is less than a year old and has barred tail feathers, it's possible that it's a male who didn't molt into his adult plumage yet. But if you see clear solid tail feathers, it's a male.

Hard to tell in this pic -- I can't see enough of the face. Is this the same bird as in the fourth pic? If it's only a few months old, I can't tell. If it's a year old (or almost), then I'd say it's a female.

I assume the bird on the left is the same as in the fourth pic, so I'm sticking with male. The bird on the right is the same as the one in the first pic, right? In any case, it's a male pearl in the process of losing his pearl markings.
and a few together

Male -- yellow head -- but hasn't yet lost his barred tail feathers.

The one up top is still a bit iffy, but I'm going to guess female, unless it's still in its first set of feathers. The two below are males.

Two males.

yes that bird in the last picture you answered on is the maturist bird out of them all...she is just over 2 yrs old. the 2 birds with complete grey faces are 8 months old...and the other three are 5months old

Ah, they are young then! AquaEyes has the sexing that I'd correct myself on, then. :)

Back
Top Bottom