sexing cockatiels

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by postalpoultry, Mar 18, 2013.

1. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    Hello all,
    SOOOOOOOOOOO anybody have a sure fire way to tell sex of a cockatiel? LOL

I know, I know you can look this up and find a different answer on every web page! Just hopin' for something I haven't heard/tried!
    I have an abundance of the lil buggers an sure would like to be able to pair them up correctly, I think they are laughing at me when I walk by and ask them why they aren't mating/nesting yet! probably saying because we are BOTH dudes woman!

Thanks

2. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    How old are your teils? Umm heavy pearls, that is a year old is females, also same age spots on the flight wings are a female, the males will lose the heavy pearls after the first molt, and they will not have spots or dots on the flight wings.
    On a plain Grey's the yellow will be on his face and cover his ears, even with the orange covering the ear. The females will have yellow but does not cover the whole head and does not cover the orange on the ears, that's some of the different between males and the females .also the males will strut with his wings semi out strutting around show off the the females, and singing. All males will talk if you taught him or they sing very different then a female. Rarely does a female talk or have the different tone as a male when they chirp most of the time its the same tone, but like I said, rarely females can change tones
    I hope this helpped :)
    oh yea, white face teils, the females will have the same color, most of the time, on there head but the males will be a different color, mainly the whole head will be white and the body is a solid color, or a little pied on the wings.
    please, please, if your going to breed, hand feed the babys, and let them know that humans are part of the flock, they have a wonderful future knowing that they can trust humans and human are part of the flock.
    and get on hand,feeding the babys, call around for a breeder most would be very happy to show you.u tube is not going to help, it looks easy but its not, you can kill a baby very fast.SO PLEASE FOR THE BABYS SAKE, LET A BREEDER SHOW YOU
    take care, I hope this helpped, sherry :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Under their tails the male will be a solid color,the hens barred.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    Thanks to all who answered!! I think I finally have everybody separated!! Geez cockateils are WAY WORSE THAN RABBITS !! Had several in a cage and every time i turned around more eggs ie more babies LOL

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    It depends on the mutation. Sometimes you can't tell and sometimes it's obvious. On my lutino hen Mango (Who is the best bird ever! Yes, I say that about all birds), she has faint yellow barring under her tail, like most mutations (except, of course, the barrings' color's different). A picture would be helpful. The people at the bird store told me you can't tell if lutinos are boys or girls by looking at them. Lies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by