Sexing Colombian Wyandotte Bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shawneegyrl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Shawneegyrl

Shawneegyrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    I have 4 13 week old Colombian Wyandotte Bantams. Two have red combs and waddles and are showing iridescent blue/green in the tail feathers. They are not showing hackle or saddle feathers that are different from what I am pretty sure are girls. In fact one of them has pretty rounded neck feathers and the other one has neck feathers that look just like the ones that have no comb or waddle.

Had a BLG that looked like a boy earlier in the year and now she lays eggs, so I am a bit nervous about Wyandottes.

Does anyone have experience with these chickens and if you can be sure before they crow or lay an egg?

Will try to get pics this weekend.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have had wyandottes before. I can try and help if you post pictures. This is a good age for sexing

3. Shawneegyrl

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    Thanks, Here are the two I am sure are girls. They have had pointy feathering around the necks from the start.
    I did catch them today and in the sun there is very faint iridescence on the black tail feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one I am betting a boy. His neck feathers are rounded with pointy ones comming in and looks like also at the rear end.
    Black tail feathers are very iridescent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is the one I am not sure about. His neck feathers look like the girls.
    The black tail feathers have a lot of iridescence but he does not have the tail that the other (boy) has
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only shot I could get with him and the other in the background, you can barely see how much redder Boy 1 is even though not a good pic
    [​IMG]

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have never had this breed before but looking at the pictures the first 2 look like pullets and the 3rd is a cockerel 4th I'm not sure guessing cockerel but I'm not sure hopefully someone more experienced can help :)

5. Shawneegyrl

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    Thanks, number 4 is my mystery chick at this point. Wyandottes can fool you. I had one that looked like a boy at 7 weeks and I waited it out and tada! she squatted and started laying at about 7 months.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    first two pullets
    third cockerel
    4th leaning toward cockerel
    5th cockerel

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

9. Shawneegyrl

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    I posted in the injuries and illness and so far no comments.

Wynona has a huge swelling on one side of her face in the waddle area below her eye. Her eye looks bright and clean, so I do not think it is involved in what is going on.

She acts like she feels OK. I just put her in a cage and she has not eaten yet. She is not happy to be separated from her friends. ( She is eating. )

It looks like there is a spot that is yellowish and I was thinking of lancing it - but am concerned about making an open wound. I have Baytril here, but do not want to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Any guidance appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have no clue what it is. Looks like he stuffed food in her check. Hope she i okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by