Sexing Coturnix..Please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hooligan Farm, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Hi everyone I'm a newbie to poultry and I just got my first 5 Coturnix. I need some help making sure I'm sexing them right. Please take a look at the pics. I think I have 3 hens and 2 roo's.... Thank you in advance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
  3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    You can't sex Tibetans, Rosetta and Tuxedo with the feathers. Check the vent, if it squirts out white mousse when squeezed and has a large red bump, it is a male. Otherwise it be a female! [​IMG]

4. Hooligan Farm

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Ok... Thanks for your help. Are there any particular newbie "don'ts" I should watch out for?

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:quaillady's website is excellent information.
    the only things i can think of ,being pretty new to this myself is ..don't mix poultry with your quail ( health reasons)
    and
    make sure the cage wire is small enough( 1/2 " hardware cloth for adults) so predators don't get your birds.
    i'm sure other folks will also contribute to this . [​IMG]

6. Hooligan Farm

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    I've heard that. I built a pen in my basement for them. Thanks for the advice

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:READ THE COTURNIX BASICS POST ON THE STICKY SECTION AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE HERE

8. Hooligan Farm

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:READ THE COTURNIX BASICS POST ON THE STICKY SECTION AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE HERE

I did read some of it but I'll have to go through it again. I have trouble reading stuff like on the screen. The print bugs my eyes out, guess thats why I have glasses....lol. This site is great though. I've found more then enough info for my chickens, ducks and now quail... thanks so much everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by