sexing cresteds question & general differences in feathering question

ccshambhala

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Va
I have a 5 wk Appenzeller Spitzhauben that I am wondering when I will be able to tell its gender. I know cresteds are more difficult.... I also have 7 3 week old chicks - 2 lf barred cochins that are supposed to be pullets but are feathering out very differently (one is nearly completely feathered while the other has much more fuzz); 2 creme brabanters that are supposed to be pullets - one has a big black crest the other just has some brown fuzz on its head; and 3 straight run mottled houdans that I am afraid are all roosters lol
lau.gif
. I know they are still young yet but......

5 wk old Appenzeller :

15513_p6186416.jpg

5 wk old Appenzeller, 2 3 wk old creme brabanters (their heads look sooo different (note the flash reflected oddly in ones eye - in person it is fine
wink.png
!) & a houdan

15513_p6186414.jpg

15513_p6186423.jpg

15513_p6186419.jpg

15513_p6186418.jpg

15513_p6186415.jpg

thanx
big_smile.png

when i was razing spittzz the hens creest was slicked back will the roos were going all over the place "wild like " and like in other breeds you can sex theem by the feathering-- hens feather faster-- roos will start to grow pointed sadles at about 3+ mounths -- by 4+ mounths there should be no doutb

does it mean anything that one brabanter has a black crest and the other just has brown fuzz? A friend got 3 brabanter "pullets" from this batch and she mentioned that she has at least one that has brown fuzz and at least one with a black crest as well....
when I look on feathersite there are brabanters with both color crests - and it does not appear to be sex specific. The Spitzhauben Roosters on feathersite seem to have crests with more white than the hens - but my chicks crest has developed more white ....

The crest color isn't an indication of sex unless your dealing with sex linked, however the shape is. See in the first picture you posted his crest is kinda everywhere. I would say thats a rooster.

thanx dsowens & banjoejoe

I just do not understand why they would feather out so differently - or develop crests so differently (in the brabanters)

any guesses on the houdans?

but you cannot seem to see their combs at all at this age - houdans esp - even at maturity you can barely see the comb lol - are there no tricks of the trade for the cresteds?

at 6 wks old i usually have a fairly good idea of sex based on comb - but cannot see my spitzhaubens comb at all! and at 4 weeks - no visible comb on houdans either. Also at 4 weeks old one brabanter has nearly no crest at all - while the other has a prominent (a good inch long) black crest on a brown head..... ???

Back
Top Bottom