sexing cute mongrels - boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by muell112, Jul 13, 2010.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I hatched out 3 polish crosses 3-4 weeks ago. Any thoughts on what sex they are? The first one is a polish X sicilian buttercup. The other is a polish X cochin. I'm having a hard time uploading a picture of the third bird...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Treegod

Treegod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    At a guess, just by looking at the tails and nothing else, I'd say these two are females. Comparing them to the development of my own chicks.

You got pictures of when they're about a week or two old? In my experience I've noticed that my pullets in the first week have their tail feathers and well formed wing feathers whereas the cockerels don't develop tail feathers and their wing feathers are just "stubs."

Even now I have chicks that are just over 4 weeks old and the ones I think are male still haven't got their tail feathers, though their wings are well developed.

3. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Here's the third one. This one and the little black one with the serious mohawk developed their wings and tails more quickly than the black cochin cross.
    [​IMG]

4. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    any more thoughts?

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    The third picture looks like the Buttercup cross. My Buttercup males tail feather, wings and comb develope faster than the females. I can tell the males after they dry off, by the nub of their comb. It takes a week or so for the females to show me any comb.

Can't really see the comb, but the legs look Rooish. Pretty.

I have Turken cross this time, hoping for a hen cause its real pretty.

6. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Yeah - the third one does kind of have the buttercup look. However, he/she hatched out of one of my light brown eggs and has the feathers down the legs like a cochin (the buttercup is my only hen that has white eggs which is what the little black one with the huge mohawk hatched out of)...I'll keep you guys posted - thanks for the input!

7. Treegod

Treegod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    Looking again I would guess that the third one (to my eyes) might be female. Good point about the legs though. Rethinking the second one (I had doubts) that it could be male, the tail feathers are looking scruffy.

Good luck with how they develop (although it's not luck cos it's biologically predetermined lol)

8. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
  9. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    [​IMG]

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Those last two pictures look like a pair (black cockerel caramel pullet)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by