sexing day-old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earthnut, Dec 13, 2007.

1. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I looked at the wing feather length of my chicks to determine their gender, as shown in this clip: at 3:20.

It worked like a charm for my leghorns. Quite clear. I was wondering what other breeds does this work for?

thanks!

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    That's sort of cool how you can find out the sex by there wings but it looks awful how they throw those poor chicks around.

3. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Yes, the throwing disturbed me at first too. [​IMG] But it doesn't take that long and they aren't hurt at the end...

4. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

And they didn't show what happens to the males....

We saw a doco here in NZ on this farming of chicks. All the boys go down a shoot into a huge blender, its called "instant fragmentation"

I'll never forget that after I saw it.

All they showed was the girls going on to be counted and vacinated and looking cut at the end.

5. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    It's all those parts (the bad eggs, the males, the sick ones) that go into the "animal protein" in pet food. Which is why I don't feed cat food to my chickens - I don't like the idea of feeding chickens to chickens.

But anyway, any idea about the usefulness of that sexing technique?

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I found out that the wing feather way of sexing chicks only works on certain breeds. Apparently leghorns must be one of them....but i dont know what the others are....sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by