1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing day old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pokey, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Last year I was picking out chicks from the feed store.I was interested in some of the chicks that were in the straight run tub.well as I am talking to the clerk she tells me one of the guys can sex them for me.I asked how? She replies to me that Leroy raises games and sexes his by picking them up by the head and sees how they dangle.well after choking myself not to laugh I had him pick out 5 of my choice of breed out of the straight run tub.I thought I would have all roos for sure.well, I got 5 Pullets.I have tried it on my own hatches and it has worked....can't explain it but has anyone else tried this? You pick the chick up by the head using three fingers and if it kicks up its feet its a pullet.if it hangs straight down its a roo.

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    there are alot of posts on here about that method but i thought it was the other way around. roo kicks pullet hangs. i personally don't like this method as i feel it MAY harm the chick & i know alot of people feel the same.

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I have keep the ones that kicked up their feet and those are pullets

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i have experience doing this. i have done it a lot and get 100% all the time. i posted my trick on here and some byx members were very rude and basically laughed and called me a liar. I did it and i got pullets but since they dont believe and wont even try it that is their loss

5. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    My grandfather bred games for 40 years and supposedly sexed all his chicks this way too.

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    yes the trick is that roos kick their legs and pullets hang. that is the way i have always done it

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Well I don't want to insult anyone and I admit I thought he was crazy. But I try it over and over, and it may not be scientific but I will keep doing it and did go back and tell the guy thank you.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, i've always thought this way sounded pretty weird, but y'all have convinced me to try it. I think the thing that scares me the most is that if you're a little too rough, this is similar to the method for culling a chick. But i will be careful. I will have a new hatch the end of January, and i will try it on them.

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    am I confused KICK is a PUlllet or Kick is a ROO??

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'll be hatching some Black Sex-Link chicks this spring (RIR x BR) and I'll let everyone know the results using this method! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by