Sexing Day Old Chicks?

brandoncakes

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Kailua, HI
So I understand that wing sexing and visual sexing can only be done with cross breeds. Is there any way to sex day old Easter Eggers, Australorps, or Cuckoo Marans? Are there any photos online to show vent sexing or what male and female vents are supposed to look like? I have seen the videos on sexing on YouTube, but nothing that really teaches you or shows you what to look for. I also understand that vent sexing is a skill that takes years and years to master, but I'd like to try it on my chicks when they hatch on the August 23.

I have seen the post about Barred Rock sexing, and can try to use that on my Marans, but what about the other 2 breeds? I've also seen the post on Americana/Easter Egger feather pattern sexing of juvenille birds. I will probably use that as well.

i would say to just do the wing sexing and if it is hard to tell then maybe ask the question again!!! lol i have 7 under mybroody and i am pretty confident on sexing them with their wings. i have reserched and reserched and reserched and i think it is pretty easy!! but then again what do i know? this is my first hatch....hopefully a hatch lol!! good luck and i hope you get a better answer than me!! lol

God bless!!

<3 kelsey

Easter eggers are really hard because they can be such a mix. We have some at 12 weeks that we are still debating.
it's best if you have both sexes of the same age/breed to compare. Then you can look at them and say: that comb is bigger; those legs are heavier, etc.
It also helps when they crow.

Back
Top Bottom