Sexing day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snremer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. snremer

snremer New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi,

I just incubated my first set of chicks. I hatched 3 french black copper marans, 1 olive egger, 1 rumpless tufted araucana, 2 light sussexs and 1 red laced blue wyandotte. My 3 french black copper marans are the french type with furred feet. My olive egger was bread from a french black copper maran and a true ameracana (not easter egger). The olive egger has furred feet as well.

Does anyone have any idea on how to sex these breeds best? I have read that the marans should have white spots on their heads however none of mine are showing any white spots. Can these breads be wing sexed? Is there a better way to do sex them? I have had a hard time finding infomation on sexing these breeds. I would really like to get some sort of idea so I can help my kids understand how many of these chicks we are going to be able to keep. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Well you may not want to try this way but it worked for me! So youtake the little chick and take 2 fingers and put his head inbetween your fingers and let its legs dangle in the air a hen will put her legs down towards the grtound and a rooster will put up is legs away from the ground . My friend got 12 hens when they were day olds and she did that and all them were hens!

3. TheOutcast

TheOutcast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    That is a good Idea! I never heard it before but it sounds much better than vent sexing, I will definately try that next time I get chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by