Sexing day old standard Dark Brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Borncountry419, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I read somewhere that you can sex a Dark Brahma chick by it's color, females darker cloudy gray and males lighter and more silver. Is there any validity to this? I picked up a few st.run Dark Brahma chicks from TSC, and I picked the ones that were a darker cloudy gray. If they're more likely to be hens, I plan on going back and buying more of the "hen" ones. Lol. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    No, day olds look the same.
    This is a roo & his progression
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Around this time is when I could tell for sure it wa a roo...when his lacing was falling out & dark green feathers were growing in...the females will keep the lacing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PNWskye likes this.
  3. NickyPick

NickyPick Songster

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Oh, that's good to know. I've got two and one has a dark head and one has a frosted head. The frosted head, Galena, is a sweetie - loves to nap on you when you pick her up. The dark head, Garnet, has just decided she loves hanging out on my shoulder. I want them both to stay pullets!

4. Yeah that must have been bs then. Lol. Because both of the "hen" chicks I picked look like your bird did as a baby. But they also had much lighter colored ones, that's why I figured there could have been some truth in it. Maybe I'll go pick up a few more to ensure at least one hen. What's the temperament of your roo?

5. He's a beautiful rooster btw. Thanks for the pics!

6. blue_egg_lover

blue_egg_lover Chirping

Feb 9, 2011
    Wow he is very pretty

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    One thing that I have read is that the females of this breed get longer wing and tail feathers early. I am just hatching my first group of Brahmas and waiting to see if this is true. The breeder I bought some of my eggs from confirmed that this is what she sees as well. I am hoping that I get a much better ratio than the 4 to 1 I got on my last hatch. Beautiful roo by the way!

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    It is so neat to see his progression from chick to manly man. Thank you for posting the pix!

9. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Thanks! Bob is a good roo. He is pretty laid back & takes care of his hens. He is huge..my other hens are Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks & Wyandotes & he is so big that during the winter my 3 BO's will hide underneath of him to keep warm like baby chicks. It is pretty funny.

[​IMG]

And he did not exact any revenge on me for dressing him up like Santa either, lol.
    [​IMG]

10. Haha. That's awesome! Hopefully any of mine that end up roos will be the same way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: