1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by squeak1387, May 19, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    So I was searching utube trying to figure out how to sex my day olds before its too late. Found a video claiming u can sex by the wing feathers. If the two rows are the same length is a boy if they are different lengths then its a female. Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone tried it? If u have how correct was it? I thought u can only vent sex chicks? Can anyone tell me how to vent sex?

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I saw a program that included vent sexing and it is really an art. The people who do it have years of experience and still make mistakes about 10% of the time. The nuance between male and female is the least noticeable 'bump' and I don't know which has the bump and which doesn't. Honestly, I wouldn't even try. There's one sure fire way to know...hens lay eggs! I have seen hens with comb and wattles like a roo and hens who even crow.

Crazy!

3. ngamtnman

ngamtnman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    North GA
    On some breeds I think you can sex chicks by their wing feathers but I think it's only a few breeds you can do this with. I've never tried vent sexing, I've always been afraid I would squeeze the chick wrong and hurt it or something.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Only chicks that have been breed to be wing sexed can be sexed by the wing feathers as day olds.

Never try and vent sex. It takes years to learn to do it correctly and if you want to learn, expect to lose quite a few chicks before you get the hang of it. Even once you get good at it there is at best a 90% chance you'll be correct. There are books on the subject if you want to learn more. Basicly there are, in my experiance with vent sexing, three types of vents. About a third are obviously male, about a third are obviously female and about a third you just have to use your experiance and make your best guess.

It's a bit hard to explain, but there are books on sexing that shows the differences.

BTW, I never even vent sex my own birds, even though I can and have in years past.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by