Sexing Delaware chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have 2 chicks. When they first hatched, I was sure 1 was a girl, 1 was a boy. The one w/ the black spot on her head has just always looked petite and delicate next to the fuzzy yellow chick. His legs were so big and thick when he hatched, I immediately said that one must be a boy. They're a few days old now and the "boy" still has bigger legs, his comb looks slightly bigger (but still tiny, barely a spiky ridge on his head), and his wing feathers are all short. The one with a black spot on its head still has skinny little toothpick legs (compared to the twigs the other has. lol), no comb to speak of, and her wing feathers have 2 rows, 1 short 1 long. These are my first chicks, got the parents as young adults. Sound right? They are so adorable!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

By three or four weeks old, they will tell you what they are. Black spots on the head do not mean anything with this breed. I don't feather sex them since the line must be bred specifically for that trait. Some hatcheries may have that going on, but you can't count on that as a sexing tool with all Delawares. Males have lots of "smut" between the shoulders and down the back and usually the girls do not, at least not to any degree.

Here is a Del cockerel at 3 weeks old--see the speckles down his back? That's usually a male trait. And the comb is already obvious.

[​IMG]

3. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I'm posting some pics. I think it will be interesting to find out if I'm right in a few weeks. [​IMG] Check it out, the all yellow chick has thick dark yellow legs, while the chick with the black spot has skinny little light yellow legs. (I already know the spot doesn't mean anything, but we only have 2 chicks and that's the most obvious difference between them. [​IMG])
    [​IMG]
    chick with black spot has a row of long feathers as well as a row of short on its wings
    [​IMG]
    all yellow chick has just short feathers
    [​IMG]
    He also has more attitude already. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My kids are really enjoying building things for them. rofl. with popsicle sticks and Lego
    [​IMG]

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I'm going to say big legs might not necessarily mean boy at this age. We had a cochin that was similarly larger all the way around. We called it 'Moose' because it was huge and had monster legs. She's turned into a beautiful big girl and is still named 'Moose'.

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Interesting. I would be happiest if these were both girls. We already have a wonderful rooster, Mr Smartypants. If the yellow chick is, in fact, a boy, he's headed for the stew pot, which I'd definitely rather not have to do! We live in the city, so 3 hens and 1 rooster are all we're allowed (and 1 rooster is more than enough with only 3 hens! [​IMG]) If both of these are girls, that will make 4 hens, but I don't think my neighbors will mind. We have a pretty big yard.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I wouldn't say thick legs necessarily indicate boy either. I had a speckled sussex I would have bet my life on that it was a rooster until one day she laid an egg... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a bit early to tell, but you may have a pair. In a couple weeks, I bet you'll know!

9. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm betting you have a pair, but Delawares are curious minded little deviants [​IMG] Very sweet and friendly, of course.

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    magicpigeon,

What made you suspect your SS was a cockerel (until she laid)?
    Comb, wattle, build, or personality?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by