sexing delawares and black (and blue) copper marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by achake01, May 27, 2010.

1. achake01

achake01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Hi there--It's only week two, but I'm noticing what I think are gender differences in the wings among these breeds (Delawares and Marans). Do the males start to show longer wing feathers, females shorter?
    Thanks
    Anne Marie.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a 3 week old Delaware cockerel. You see the "smut" from the shoulder area down his back? That is usually a male trait.

[​IMG]

Look at the two chicks with their heads down. Female on left, male on right. They are a couple weeks old here. See the color difference?

[​IMG]

3. achake01

achake01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    veddddy intedddesting.....
    i don't see any 'smut' yet....I'll bet soon, though.....they're at the end of their second week....
    BUT do you think there is any difference in wing feathering? I'm convinced the boy has longer wing feathers....i feel like maybe i read that somewhere, but maybe i've lost my mind. (no, wait: i've definitelty lost my mind).

thanks!
    Anne Marie.

4. speckledhen

Delawares in both sexes develop very quickly. I've never noticed any real feathering difference that would help with sexing. You'll have a good idea if there are any boys in there in a couple weeks time.

5. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    Where are the pics? I can't see them, and I am interested because I have a very aggressive 3 week old Delaware.

6. speckledhen

sally, if you can't see the pics, your computer or your server is probably to blame. Clean out all cookies and temporary internet files and refresh and see if that helps.

As far as aggressive, Delawares are a mouthy breed, they explore with their beaks. When the beak gets large enough to grab and hold a few seconds, you can break them of it, usually. I used to have hatchery Dels and they really were awful, aggressive, unpleasant and flighty. My heritage Dels are so much better in every way.

7. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    How accurate is the smut on the back for telling gender? I have six Delawares that are 3 weeks old. Only two of them have the smutting, but one that doesn't has a relatively large comb and even little wattles and is definitely a boy. I'm just wondering if this means I can assume that the other three without smutting or large combs/wattles are girls or not.

8. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think I see what I did wrong. I was looking at the lower back. Now that their upper back, at the base of the neck, feathers are coming in, the one that's clearly a boy does have the smut. Only two don't have it.

9. Draden11

Draden11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Don't see any smut yet....perhaps soon?

10. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Mine are four weeks now. Five of the six have feathers in that shoulder/back area, but one's a late bloomer and still has baby fluff there, so I'll have to wait another few days to find out gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by