1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Delawares and Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarkerChickens, Apr 29, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Our chicks are 5.5 weeks old now and most are easy to tell the gender, but I have a few questions to clarify what I think...

First, the Delawares...
    We have 8 chicks, 4 of which are DEFINITELY cockerels (large reddish-pink comb and wattles, large side, roo personality, etc). However, the other 4, which I think are females, are starting to confuse me. They have much smaller combs, little to no wattles, etc. But, they are starting to get a soft blush pink color on the top of their head (at the base of the comb, not on the comb specifically) and the back of the wattles are slightly pink as well (near the beak where the upper and lower beak meet). I know Del's develop quicker than other breeds, but do pullets develop this fast? The pink on the "girls" is much lighter and paler than the dark pink on the boys. I've been thinking I have 4 girls and 4 boys for about a 1.5 or 2 weeks now...now I am not so sure. Oh, they are all smaller than the cockerels too.

As for the Jersey Giants...
    Easy question...when can you sex them based on comb/wattle color? All 8 of them look the same still...no distinct combs, no red color. I know they mature later, but how long till they can be sexed. Or maybe we just have all pullets! [​IMG] (I wish!) One of my small ones is still growing in his shoulder feathers, so I am assuming he is a slow-developing male.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    anyone? [​IMG] Would this be better posted in the breeds section?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Delaware females feather out differently than males. The males have shoulder markings and barred tail feathers, while females tend to have less markings in the shoulder area and black tail feathers. If you look up some of my own posts regarding my Delawares or some of seriousbill's, you'll see good pics of the two sexes. JG's, I cant help you with, though.

4. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Thanks Speckledhen! I'll take a look at the tail feathers this evening. I know two in particular that am questioning are nearly all white except some coloring in the tail. I haven't noticed if they are black or barred though.

5. speckledhen

Their markings evolve slowly. The females can have a feather or two with barring, but mostly, they should be black with white edging. Let me see if I can get a picture or two of some of the markings that I haven't posted yet.

Here is a pullet's tail, then a cockerel's tail and you can see the shoulder markings on the cockerel, too. They clear out and get better with age. :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Those pictures are great! Your cockerel looks similar to one my little guys! While I understood what you were describing, those pictures are very helpful! Especially the pullets tail, since I am sure I'd be stumped by the few small areas of barring. With the pictures, I can clearly see a difference! Thanks again! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Glad to help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by