Sexing Dominiques/Dominickers at four months?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stinkysneakers, Nov 3, 2014.

1. stinkysneakers

stinkysneakers Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    I'm wondering is foot color is enough to go on at this age in Dominickers? I'm definitely noticing some tail growth differences but does that indicate anything? Or are there other ways to tell at this age? Any advice or experience from Dominique/Dominicker owners would be greatly appreciated!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 4 months, males should be quite apparent on this breed. Same rules apply as for sexing barred Rocks. Males will be much lighter overall in appearance. 4 month old males will have some saddle and hackle feathers, and red combs. They'll be leggy and gangly looking. Pullets will be darker, no color to the comb, and be more finished, rounded looking.

Feel free to post pics of your flock and we can sort them out with you.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Donrae. If you can post some pics we will be happy to confirm their gender for you, but trying to ID chickens without pics is about like shooting in the dark.

4. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014

Thanks you folks! The color differences are apparent. I'm sure when I get a closer look it will be even more obvious. I'm picking them up this
    afternoon from a lady in my area.
    [​IMG]

5. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    Especially in the foreground you can see some that are distinctively lighter and have less of a tail.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The lighter chicks with more patchy coloration and shorter tails are the males.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a great picture to illustrate the difference in color! Looks like about half and half, but I'd put them as younger than 4 months. I'm not sure some of those cockerels are pure bred, either, with how much white is coming through on some of the wings.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by