Sexing doms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, May 20, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have 2 doms that are 8 weeks old. One of them has a comb that is turning very red and they other isn't at all. I am getting a little worried that one maybe a male? I need to take pics. These are our first chickens. Are there other things to look for when telling males and females in the dom breed? I bought them as " females" but they only say sexing is 90% correct. Thanks

Here are pic of them at

Here they are at 4 wks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here they were at a week old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Current pics would help. I know at 8 weeks old someone should be able to tell you gender easily.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They're supposed to be similar to Barred Rocks for coloration sexing with males being lighter than females, girls having more dark hue to the leg fronts, head spot vs. messy frosting look, etc. However, when you don't have a whole bunch of them together, it's not so obvious.

I have a Dom right at 6 weeks old. She is shaped and colored pullet but the comb is slightly pink in the center now so I'm wondering if they might normally get a bit of color at this age? No wattle development and no crowing noises and she's sweet as pie to people but she's also trying hard to hold the top of the pecking order and while she doesn't hurt anyone, she's certainly assertive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by