1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing ducks, and ducklings...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken7777, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    hi i would just like to know....how can i be able to sex day old ducklings(mostly day(s) old pekins)? i know with adults is the voice and curly tail feather for the male(is this only with pekins?) but how do hatcheries sex their ducklings in a timely matter? i have heard that you look into the cloaka or something...i have no idea what that is or how to do it correctly....would apreciate some informative thread, website where i can see how people do it. has anyone done it before, and does it work? thank you

2. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    vent sexing...it's hard, and risky, you can easily rip them down there o_Ol

I don't know how to do it,

ALL ducks start to get thier voices by 10 weeks old, and ALL drakes have curly tail feathers.

all my ducklings were sexed by the hatcherys, and even they arn't 100% accurate a few of my "hens" grew up to be drakes.

3. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Well i know people have made threads on it, but would like more information/pics to know how to do it...i know some people say they can be pretty hard, but i know people that have tried it and they have done it right...

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Try doing a Google search. I also read something in Mother Earth News about vent sexing, but I think it was for chicks, not ducklings.

Honestly, it would probably be easier just to wait and see. The females begin quacking loudly around 8 weeks, maybe even a bit earlier, I can't remember. The males get their male coloring at 11 or 12 weeks. I have a 15 week old Khaki Campbell that still doesn't have his drake feather.

5. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    well its because i only want atleast two pekin females, and only one male because if i have one more male than i need then i would have to sell it later, and i wasted my time raising a male thinking it was a female..LOL that would be funny though. also because the ducklings i am going to try to get are the only ones i see available and cant risk getting something i wont be able to until later on the year.....thanks!

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 ducks, born end of august. I picked the ones i thought were ladies... none of them have curly tails yet, but i tried to figure out their genders, with some flipping, squeezing, and looking, but all I could see was squishy duck butt.... ewww. plus when my ducks are unhappy, and upside down makes them unhappy, they tend to squirt poo... ick... so either wait and see, or prepare to be squirted....

7. chickensducks&agoose :

I have 4 ducks, born end of august. I picked the ones i thought were ladies... none of them have curly tails yet, but i tried to figure out their genders, with some flipping, squeezing, and looking, but all I could see was squishy duck butt.... ewww. plus when my ducks are unhappy, and upside down makes them unhappy, they tend to squirt poo... ick... so either wait and see, or prepare to be squirted....

[​IMG] OMG!! Too funny!!
    It seemed to my when my ducks were really little, I mean from even the first week, the female acted differently than the males. She peeped louder, and freaked out a lot more if she was picked up or separated from the others. These personality differences are still true about them. Has anyone else noticed this difference in behavior or is it just my ducks' unique personalities?​

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Ducklove334]I don't know how to do it,

ALL ducks start to get thier voices by 10 weeks old, and ALL drakes have curly tail feathers.

all mallard type ducks, but not the muscovy, the boys get ugly andhave huge feet while the girls stay prety with their dainty little feet

9. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Dances with Ducks-- I agree. When we picked out our 2 to bring home, we immediately pegged Gertrude as the female and Frank as the male by the simple fact that Gertie squawked from the moment we picked her up and hasn't stopped since. Frank is so laid back and calm and she just worries all the time!!

10. Michelle what kind of ducks are Gertrude and Frank?
    The ones I raised from ducklings are Runners , I'm wondering if this might be more noticable depending on the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by