Sexing Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rainstorm, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Hi, I have 4 ducks, 3 are about 3 1/2 months old, from what ive been told ive gussed i have 1 male and 3 females, the one I "think" is a male has that really loud annoying quack rather then the others, but he doesnt have a curled feather with his tail feathers???

Will he get that at a later age? Or is it probly a female?

[​IMG]

The crested one is "him"

by the way does anyone know what kind of duck both of the gray ones are? I got them out of assortments from tractor supply back in march

Thanks

2. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Sounds like you have 3 males and 1 female! The females are actually the ones that quack [​IMG] The males make more of a "rab! rab!" noise. I would guess that the two grey ducks are blue swedish, maybe mixes but I'm not 100% although they don't have the common white "bib" on their chest or the darker flecks of black... The males will get the curled tail feathers when they mature, and then lose them again when it isn't breeding season, I think! Good luck with your ducks and I hope that helped! [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Girls "Quack" the boys sound like the Aflac duck LOL~~~

4. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Ok thanks both of you, and its a bad picture becuz i used my phone, they do have black spots on them it just aint showing up in picture

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    To me, the boys sound like "heh heh heh". Dirty old ducks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: